Thursday, February 25, 2010

Invest and Commit

The process of investing in our future makes sense in the long-run but that certainly doesn't make it easy in the present. Whether we are talking about a monetary investment or time spent it is usually easy to find ways we would rather use these means NOW. Despite the struggle we all face when we decide to invest in the future, it sure is a fantastic feeling when it pays off. Taking the annual trip, walking up to get that diploma, sending the kid to college, etc. these are rewarding ends. Well, it may be that above all health and longevity are the most important ends. If we are not healthy, or living, to enjoy our initial investments they certainly will not be as sweet.

A common theme throughout these blog entries is the effort required to fight for our health and well being. We discussed the additional expense and the extra time it may take to tip the balance in our favor. I recently experienced this process first hand by joining a gym that I had previously crossed off the list due to its high monthly fee. However, after going to the gym as a guest and taking a few of the classes it became clear that this would be a valuable investment.

The fact that I am now spending much more for this current gym than the previous one has pushed me to commit to using the facility to its full capacity. I have become borderline addicted to spinning and I have gone to a class almost everyday for the last week. When I skipped one day I missed it, although this is likely not a good balance. I have also bought a new pair of running shoes which I haven't done in probably 2 years and I am thinking about moving on from the baggy basketball shorts of my youth to more age appropriate gym gear. My point is that this investment forced to me to commit and I am very excited about this new life change. My goal is to match my previous physical condition of my teens and possibly surpass it.

From a very young age I was always engaged in group sports whether it was t-ball, junior high flag football, high school basketball, etc. My livelihood was competing in these sports and the camaraderie amongst my teammates. As I am sure many of us have faced, once we are out of school these activities often disappear or are harder to commit to on a regular basis.

My thought is that by participating in these classes I can gain back some of my excitement for exercise. I had become bored of the treadmill, elliptical, etc. I am looking forward to the NFL combine class, cardio blast, and kick boxing. One of my best friends found a kick boxing class that he loves and he wakes up at 5:30 am multiple times a week to go. This is commitment!

Based on this experience, I am going to begin encouraging my patients to invest (whether time or money) in their health by finding a physical activity that they enjoy multiple times a week. It can be an exercise video, yoga studio, wii fit, etc. The point is to extend our self and go for it!

What have you all done to invest and commit? As always, I would love for you to share your personal experiences in the comment section. We can all benefit from each other's successes.

2 comments:

  1. A number of years ago I visited a spa (of all things) with my wife for a week. While there I took a lot of different classes from pilates to yoga to circuit training. When I got back home I made the commitment to myself to start a regular exercise routine, something I had never really done except for jogging which I dropped many years ago due to a knee injury. I went to the gym at work and had a trainer get me started on a circuit I could do on my own but I had trouble making it several times a week. So I joined a lunch time circuit training group. We have a trainer for 30 min and I do 20-30 minutes of elliptical trainer before hand. Its a good workout and the camaraderie makes it much more enjoyable. In addition there is a feeling of the group keeping each other coming. I make it two times a week to that and then another if I can. Together with "lifestyle" exercise like walking, working in the yard, hiking, etc., get together to keep me from turning into a blimp despite my love of food and wine ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most people probably find it hard to sustain an independent work out routine. I agree that a group atmosphere whereby you push each other likely leads to the best results both physically and psychologically. Thanks, as always, for your important input Curt.

    ReplyDelete