Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Spring Forward

The phrase "Spring Forward" is one of my favorite phrases of the year. This phrase is classically related to advancing our clocks by one hour at the onset of spring, hence "spring forward." Other than the initial threat of a lost hour of sleep, this is generally a welcomed change for most people since it corresponds with the longer days of spring/summer. The concept of daylight savings was initiated during World War I with the intention of saving energy for war production. While it remains unclear whether daylight savings actually saves energy (in the form of electricity), I am always happy to welcome this time of year since it defines the end of the "fall back" period.

The Winter is probably a season of "fall back" not only in terms of changing our clocks backwards by an hour but also maybe a step back in our overall approach to health (probably more so in the cold climate regions). At least for me, I have always found it more difficult to make it to the gym and stay away from the comforts of sweets and alcohol (red wine/hot cider/chocolate, etc). The common New Year's resolution of losing weight/getting back in shape comes at the inopportune time of the heart of winter, football season, etc. Do people feel compelled to make these resolutions after the holiday season because of the excess weight/guilt related to all the parties? Maybe we can all start a new movement called the "Spring Forward Resolution."

The first entry of this blog titled "Knowledge is Power" describes my rationale for beginning this process. Basically, I felt I was not living by my own advice as a physician, I had accumulated excess weight that I wanted to lose and I was on the brink of a milestone birthday. The feelings related to these 3 things caused me to spring forward. Over the last few months I have regained my love for exercise through spinning (I now have the shoes/dri-fit shirts/heart monitor, etc.) and I have reached my previous level, if not best, level of fitness. Additionally, I am close to reaching my optimal weight. The challenges of changing my diet and getting back into shape continue to exist but have become much more of a way I choose to live my best life.

I propose that if you have not done so already please take the time to evaluate your individual health. The sun will continue to shine later in the day, the warmth will bathe our souls and the trees/flowers will be in full bloom for the next 6-7 months. This is an incredible time to have your spring forward moment. Walk home from work a few times per week, run in the park, find a nearby basketball/tennis court-the sky is the limit!

The opportunity to hear from patients, family and friends what spurred their lifestyle changes is always incredible. Most recently I have heard that a friend made drastic changes for his children, an older women wanted to feel better about herself, a middle aged man was scared about the onset of diabetes...

Daylight savings may not actually save energy but it may save lives! A reminder to learn your vitamin D level (maintenance 1000-2000 mg/day), have your cholesterol checked and get your daily dose of Omega 3 fatty acids.

We have previously discussed the effectiveness of positive reinforcement on diet and exercise, well, the same has been true for me writing this blog. The genuine praises and comments that reading these entries have made a difference in your lives is my main objective and means the world to me. All of this medical knowledge is useless without the opportunity to share it with others. I have loved using this avenue to spread health related wisdom. Thank you for reading and sharing! Please subscribe by email if you haven't done so and sign up as a follower of the blog at the top right corner of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment