Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Information Overload

Facebook, Twitter, email, text messaging...We are living in a world where information is now at our fingertips more than ever. The ability to process all this information into meaningful material is a challenge. A criteria for success now and in the future will be the ability to multi task. I have heard the phrase "mental obesity." Well, maybe the onset of "mental obesity" has contributed to "physical obesity" as we know it. A few recent statistics since numbers usually make an impact. Currently, the annual cost of obesity costs 10% of health care spending (about $147 billion). American adults who are obese has increased 140% over the last decade. We have the information but we need to turn it into knowledge.

There is an overwhelming amount of information out there telling us what we should be eating, where we should be eating, how we should be eating, etc. As a physician, I am constantly trying to decipher what the best information is for me and my patients. Should I be following The Atkins Diet, The South Beach Diet, The Mediterranean Diet, or Eat Right for Your Blood Type? In the mail yesterday I received 3 different medical journals with multiple articles comparing different diets and discussing the medical management of obesity with medications. It continues to remain unclear. The problem is that most physicians still are not confident in their ability to counsel about weight and even when we are there are many barriers to do so which include reimbursement, lack of time, etc. It is up to all of us to make sure our physicians calculate our body mass index (Based on weight and height) and we ask questions to encourage the discussion. We must find the best approach for us as individuals.

Since I started on this journey to really live by own advice last week I have been focused on eating a higher amount of protein and less carbohydrates (a modified Atkin's diet). I was pleased to read a study in the Archives of Internal Medcine yesterday that a low carbohydrate diet had similar effects on lowering blood sugar and cholesterol as a Low-Fat Diet Plus Orlistat (AKA Alli, weight loss medication that reduces fat absorption in the gut-->lower calorie intake). Additionally a low carbohydrate diet was more effective for lowering blood pressure. I find it has been productive for me to read the back of food labels for carbohydrate counts. My current goal is 20-40 total carbs/day (Total carbs-Fiber= "bad carbs"). One fundamental problem with all these diets (I don't like that word) is that the weight loss is not sustained. I believe it is OK to use some of these approaches, even medications, at the onset of a desired change but we need to focus on a lifestyle regimen that we can maintain or what is the point.

My goal is that we can all continue this discussion and work to instill real positive lifestyle changes. It is possible that this discussion will prevent a heart attack, a stroke, diabetes, etc. If you haven't done so already please subscribe for email updates and sign up as a follower of this blog. Also, I would love to hear pertinent stories and comments about these postings.

2 comments:

  1. Being positive, especially you doctors, when talking to patients is very important. I went to a doctor one time who told me she had thought of becoming a nutritionist but realized how totally impossible it is to keep off weight. This was told me when I was stuggling, I'm sure to make me feel better, but it just made me feel hopeless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Lawola! I will keep this in mind when seeing patients. Part of my doing this is to better understand what we all go through in this area so I can hopefully be a more productive physician.

    ReplyDelete